Sunday, August 5, 2012

I'm no Olympian, but......I got 30 MILES in this week!!!

So, the week started off a little iffy on Monday.  I invested in my new amazing Brooks Glacier 10's last Sunday and I was determined to break to those babies in.  I didn't know if I should or not considering my week off I had due to the soreness on the side of my footsie.  So, I went to the gym and was only going to do the bicycle but DAMN they were all full.  I moved on to the eliptical and that just wasn't doing it for me.  Still trying not to get on the freakin' treadmill, I started to lift some weights.  I did arms, legs, and abs, and the treadmill was just calling my Name..KYNDRAAAAAA COME OVER HERE!!  TAKE THOSE NEW PINK EXPENSIVE SHOES OF YOURS ON A RIIIIIDDDDE!!!!  I could NOT resist the temptation.  I got on and was feelin pretty effing good.  I told myself only to do 2 miles @ only a speed of 5.  And..that's what I did.  It was so slowwww and felt like the longest 2 miles EVER!!!  But, that's all I did and I still felt amazing after.

I decided on Tuesday morning to get up and do what was on my marathon schedule and did the 3 miles.  I did it and did it very slowwwwww.  Trying to keep my pace barely above 12 mins.  That's kind of a hard task.  But, I'm now using the Map My Run App because I don't have Nike shoes anymore to use my sport band.  It's a great app.  I started using my headphones and listening to music again on my runs because the app has a little voice that comes on and tells you your progress throughout the run.  It's really cool and allows you to keep track of your pace.  Actually, it's heaven sent to me because it's keeping me in check w/my pace and not allowing me to act like an Olympian and run any faster than I should be.  Again, trying to keep the injuries close to 0 going forward and this is going to help.

Wednesday morning came around and I decided to rest.  It was a day for 5 miles.  Decided again to go to the gym.  I lifted and ran 3 miles on the treadmill and counted my 2 miles from Monday towards my 5 for that day and BAM I was caught up in miles for the Week!!  So, when Thursday finally got here I went on my morning run for 3 miles and was feeling good so far this week.  I took advantage of the rest for the evening and was feeling even better

After much indecisiveness and going back and forth in my head I decided on a little happy hour to let loose.  Went for drinks with Q & Patricia and we had dinner @ this amazing burger place in Midtown called RARE.  Burger & sweet potato fries were delish.  Stuck to just a couple drinks and a glass of wine @ dinner, as promised, and headed home early so I could get some rest and get up the next day for the HUGE LOOOONGGG run on Saturday morning.

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And Long Run it was!!!  It was 14 freakin miles!!!.  Considering my last long run was 2 Saturdays ago and it was only 10 miles I was quite nervous and didn't know what to expect out of my body and my mind.  I missed the 12 mile long run from the Saturday before due to my foot issue.
I wanted to miss the heat, so I was on the road by 745a on Saturday morning.  Since it was such a long run I needed a change in my usual scenery and opted for the East side of Manhattan.  There's a beautiful view of the East river and the bridges.  Not to mention being so inspired by all the runners out getting their long runs in for the day too.  There was so many people out that day and I was so glad I showed up to be a part of it.  This run took me on an adventure and I had no idea I was going to go so FAR UP!!  At one point during the run I decided I wanted to run in Central Park so I started making my way west over to the park and wound up entering @ 59th & 5th.  You guys!!  That is so crazy!!  I ran all the way from the Staten Island Ferry which is as Far South as you can go in Manhattan!!  That's a LONG freaking way!  The whole time I just kept saying I can't believe I've gone this far...I can't believe it.  Then!!!  I ran through the park up and around the reservoir.  OMG!!  This was CRAZY and I still had like 7 or 8 miles to go!!!!!!  Finally finished where I began in the park after running a street repeatedly the last 1.5 miles to get to the 14!   I struggled, I walked, I drank water and THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE!!!!  Right there in the park trying to get to this 14 MILES!  Around 12 miles, I just kept telling myself to keep going, I'm almost there, I can do this!
After my run I made sure I walked the recommended 10 mins after my run to get the blood flowing again thru my body.  After 14 miles my legs felt like cement.  I stretched twice as long as usual to make sure my legs were not going to tighten up.  I did some push ups (well, kinda), I do the push ups on the bench.  I hate push ups, so I like to modify.  lol.  I did some crunches just to keep my body moving.  Then I stretched again and drank lots of gatorade to recover.  I didn't really know what to think about myself.  I was kind of scared of myself that I actually did it and wondered if I could do it again!
I met this older man after I stretched and he asked me what I was training for.  We ended up chatting it up for a while and come to find out he's such an inspiration.  He's 61 years old and has ran 9 NYC marathons, beginning in 1998 and has done 5 others outside of the county and w/in the country.  His goal is to get to 20!!!  He's gone through injuries and ups & downs through his journey but man he's a freakin' soldier!  That's one thing about running is you always meet these people that have done things you think are impossible.  I'm always finding someone who has done amazing things.  People love talking about running and telling you their story.  I want to have THOSE stories to tell and be an inspiration to somebody also.
I picked up Runners World magazine this week and it's an amazing issue.  Here's one of the quotes from the magazine that relates to people who run (it's kind of funny and so so true).  "We runners talk about having fun, but I don't think anybody believes us.  We talk about discipline and endurance, we take care, we exercise caution, we watch our diets and monitor our pace.  We are ascetics who talk unconvincingly of the bracing enjoyment of self abuse."  
Aside from this quote in the issue, there are some really great stories about regular people who run and stories about Olympians who run Marathons in crazy RECORD times and just keep doing it.   I haven't even ran my first marathon yet and I'm all of a sudden wanting to run more.  I want to run SF Women's Marathon, the Las Vegas Rock n Roll Marathon (@ night on the strip), Boston, and Philly.  Could just be a phase.  I'll keep you updated on that after NYC.  This could change before then!  You never know!

So, now that I've rambled and probably lost you about 4 paragraphs ago.  I just want to tell you about my last run for the week, if you're still reading.  I got up and ran another 5 miles this morning.  I started to feel some tightening in my hip last night and HAD to go to yoga this morning.  I know I'm not injured but just need to stretch it out.  I went to the 90 minute class and felt amazing afterwards.  My day was a sweaty/stinky mess, but after this weekend I feel accomplished, pretty amazing, and pumped for this week!  I'm ready for my morning runs and gym nights this week!  Let's get it going!  Get through the work day and get down to business.

I'm starting to feel pretty good about this and still taking it easy.  I'm not trying to beat any records, I'm just trying to get to the Start line.  This is for me and I just want to complete it!  I feel like I can do anything @ this point.  I just need to stay healthy, uninjured and motivated.

Thanks for reading this one!  I had a lot to say today.  I hope I motivate and inspire, as all of you out there doing things for yourselves and your families inspire me!  I see so many people on fb back home and here in New York that are doing so many great things to get healthy.  Keep it up and never let anybody say you can't get there.  We can do it and feel good about it!  We are fabulous!!!  xoxoxo


P.S.  I'm going to have a guest blog this week!  One my motivators, inspirations, and the reason I'm even in NYC...He once told me I had nothing to lose and still continues to this day to motivate me and get me through some really tough times.  I llove him to deffffff....

Pease and I'm out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment